Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning!

Pigeon writes:
>The woody version of cdrecord is too old to play nicely with 2.6
>kernels. You need a 2.x version from backports.org.
>
>deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable cdrtools cdrdao
>
>Even that isn't guaranteed to work. With my CD-RW (CyberDrive CW088D)
>and kernel 2.6.6, cdrecord causes a flood of drive errors and
>sometimes locks the system up, no matter whether I use ide-cd or
>ide-scsi. Fortunately, cdrdao does work.
>
>There has been a poisonous ding-dong between Joerg Schilling and the
>Linux kernel developers for years - the bitching about the driver in
>the Readme file is only a wee bit of it - and the flaky CD burning
>under 2.6 seems to be a result of this. Which is dead and chewed.

	Maybe I am simply lucky this time, but I am not having one bit
of trouble burning CD's with the two drives I have in 2.6.5 and SCSI
emulation so you have probably saved me time if nothing else.

	I had been wondering if there was any CD controller program
that would run the drives in CD playing mode so that one can listen
through the headphone jack and audio electronics in the drive.  I had
an ancient application called cdcontrol or something like that which
never worked with anything I previously had, but it also needed the
non-SCSI device such as /dev/hdc or maybe even it was /dev/cdrom.  I
seem to recall that the only thing it successfully did was open and
close the tray and print the calendar display for the CD, but it
wouldn't turn on the audio D/A and play a disk.

	It's a minor issue, but it seems like a waste to see those
little volume thumb wheels and jacks on the front of the drives and not
be able to make them do something.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group