Re: apt upgrade has "unresolvable dependencies"

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 23:39 -0500, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> >> I am using Debian sid on a 386 architecture. I tried to upgrade apt
> >> 0.5.28.1 to 0.5.28.2 using synaptic. I get a message about
> >> unresolvable dependencies:
> >>
> >> apt:
> >>  Depends: libgcc1 >= 1:4.0 but 1:3.4.3-9 is to be installed
> >>
> >> My system already has libgcc1 1:3.4.3-9 installed. I am new at Debian
> >> so I ask naively: What does one do in situations like this?
> >>

> > It means that apt required libgcc1-4.0 or later, but currently on your
> > system 3.4.3-9 is installed.
> >
> > Try `apt-get install libgcc1' on its own and report back what you get.
>
> ROOT> apt-get install libgcc1
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> libgcc1 is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Be patient, these types of issues come up with Sid from time to time.
They are dealt with quickly and life goes on.  I doubt you're missing
much while you wait for the rest of the upgrade to become available (in
fact, I know you're not, I have the same unresolved dep).  If 100%
package reliability is needed, check out Woody.

Lance Lucas