Re: disabling ethernet loopback device completely

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:12:46AM -0800, salman h wrote:
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:12:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: salman h <salman_debian@yahoo.com>
> To: Debian Linux Distro Users Discussion <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: disabling ethernet loopback device completely

 [ Snip ]

> Robert, let me try and explain the real reason I'm
> trying to do this.
>
> We're shipping computer system with debian
> pre-installed on it. We always want 'eth0' to be the
> motherboard's NIC. And "eth1" and "eth2" to on be the
> Dual NIC pci card. Well, this isn't always the case,
> as you may or may not know, because which alias gets
> assigned to which MAC addr depends on how the kernel
> modules come up. (This the same problem where people

 Just a suggestion: Have you tried to use mapping based on mac address
like suggested in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz
Something like this:
# Two ethernet interfaces, one connected to a trusted LAN, the other to
# the untrusted Internet, identified by MAC address rather than
# interface
# name:
#
# auto eth0 eth1
# mapping eth0 eth1
#     script /path/to/get-mac-address.sh
#     map 11:22:33:44:55:66 lan
#     map AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF internet
# iface lan inet static
#     address 192.168.42.1
#     netmask 255.255.255.0
#     pre-up /usr/local/sbin/enable-masq $IFACE
# iface internet inet dhcp
#     pre-up /usr/local/sbin/firewall $IFACE

  Good luck!