Re: Repairing a corrupted system

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:57:17AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> martin f krafft writes:
> >As long is it's not /var:
>
> 	I am pretty sure /var is okay.
>
> >  dpkg --get-selections | sed -ne 's,install$,,p' | \
> >    xargs apt-get install --reinstall --yes
> >
> > This will simply reinstall all packages that dpkg has installed in
> > the past, which should put /lib back into place. Maybe
> >
> >  dpkg -S /lib | cut -d: -f1 | tr , \\n | \
> >    xargs apt-get install --reinstall --yes
> >
> > is enough as it only reinstalls the packages which put files into
> > /lib.
>
> Many thanks.  I will try all that and see if the last bit of
> disfunctionality goes away.

It won't necessarily rebuild /lib/modules though. It won't if your
kernel is not "built the Debian way", ie. if you've built it from a
tarball and done make install and make modules_install, as dpkg won't
know about it. If your kernel is "built the Debian way" but was
installed by simply doing dpkg -i on the .deb rather than adding the
.deb to a repository, I think it still won't work because dpkg won't
know where to find the .deb to reinstall from. I think you need to
either reinstall the modules, or copy over your old /lib/modules (if
it's really uncorrupted) and run depmod -a.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons