Re: sendmail command

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> Another qustion:
>
> How can I check what command and parameters invoked the sendmail process.
> When I type
> # ps aux|grep sendmail
> all I get as a process the line Sendmail MTA: accepting connections and not
> the actual command.

Yes, sendmail alters its parameters to show its current status (so you
can better tell when it is wedged).

> The reason is that /etc/init.d/sendmail gets the variables
> from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf and there is not clear statement about the
> parameters used in this instance of sendmail.

True, the invocation options depend heavily upon what you put in sendmail.conf.
If you really need to see what is going on, you have two options:
	1) grep /var/log/mail.log for something like:
		sm-mta[30361]: starting daemon (8.13.3): SMTP+queueing@00:10:00
	   and decode that to -bd -q10m
	2) sh -x /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
	3) Wait a bit and I'll extend the scripts to log the command
	   when /etc/mail/sendmail.conf LOG_CMDS="Yes"

> What I am trying to do is integrate sendmail with Kaspersky ANtivirus for
> Linux Mailservers. In their manual are given the command and parameters for
> firing up Sendmail, but I am not sure whether this complies with my current
> installation.

I, personally, would install mimedefang - and let it handle the AV/spam
setup (I run through two AVs and Spamassassin).

But Kaspersky is probably wanting a dual-mta setup - which is trivially
done in Debian via sendmail.conf; but this is completely different than
what most documentation shows.

I'm going to be off-line for a few days, but feel free to continue this
privately (cowboy@debian.org) - point me at what you're trying to do,
and we'll get you setup.
--
Rick Nelson
Granted, Win95's look wasn't all that new either - Apple tried to sue