dpkg and gs-common

I am running debian testing on my home firewall/putative print server.
Running a fairly routine apt command to download gs-common, my
installation of dpkg has become rather unhappy. A forest of
segmentation faults greets me when I try and run apt-get -f install or
apt-get remove on gs-common. I can manually dpkg -r gs-common but that
does not improve apt's opinion on the matter, or indeed eventually allow
me to properly install gs-common.

The problem comes from the update-alternatives command, which gives an
instant segmentation fault when run from the command line. I've tried
doing a straight replace from a working Debian installation to no effect
so there's obviously something more profound that's wrong. Does anybody
have any experience with reinstalling dpkg from scratch without having to
reinstall the whole OS? All the other stuff (ppp, samba, iptables and so
on) seems to be working fine. I've tried replacing from a .deb but that
hasn't helped.

It would be disappointing to have to reinstall, which seems a very Windows
solution. I also don't have much evidence to show that it won't barf
again...

Peter

--
P.Saffrey@ucl.ac.uk		http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/P.Saffrey/