setting up clamav-freshclam

Once, not so long ago, I had ClamAV up and running.  Then I did
something dumb and have had to rebuild my installation from the ground up.
I tried once to install ClamAV, but it complained about being unable to
access "/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log"

So, I purged it and deleted the /var/log/clamav directory and tried to
re-install.  First, it complained that the log doesn't exist (rather
than creating it!):
Setting up clamav-freshclam (0.81-2) ...
touch: cannot touch `/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log': No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing clamav-freshclam (--configure):

So, I created the directory, and touched the log file, and set their
permissions as follows:
[16:39:44] bash3 $ sudo chmod -Rc 0774 /var/log/clamav
mode of `/var/log/clamav' changed to 0774 (rwxrwxr--)
mode of `/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log' changed to 0774 (rwxrwxr--)
[16:39:52] bash3 $ L /var/log/clamav
total 0
-rwxrwxr--  1 clamav adm 0 Feb  9 16:38 freshclam.log

And, still, the install script isn't satisfied:
[16:40:36] bash3 $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up clamav-freshclam (0.81-2) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend is incompatible with emacs shell buffers)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Term::ReadLine::GNU is incompatable with emacs shell buffers.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
Starting ClamAV virus database updater: ERROR: Can't open
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
ERROR: Problem with internal logger.
invoke-rc.d: initscript clamav-freshclam, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing clamav-freshclam (--configure):

SO: what in blazes does it need to be???

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.