Interpreting aptitude and "dpkg -l" output

The following concrete examples illustrates my query:

Aptitude:
----------
[root@carrot root]# aptitude search libpng12*
i A libpng10-0          - PNG library, older version - runtime
p   libpng10-dev      - PNG library, older version - development
i A libpng12-0          - PNG library - runtime
v   libpng12-0-dev    -
p   libpng12-dev       - PNG library - development

dpkg -l
---------
[root@carrot root]# dpkg -l libpng12*

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================
ii  libpng12-0                1.2.8rel-1                PNG library -
runtime
un  libpng12-0-dev            <none>                    (no description
available)
pn  libpng12-dev              <none>                    (no description
available)

I am certain that the man pages have a full explanation of the codes (i,
A, p ,v, un and pn).  But I need to know the keywords that will get me
to the correct <section|paragraph> with a simple "search" command.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen