Re: stop xwindows from loading at boot

[Wednesday 09 February 2005 17:53] Tim Cowlishaw
        (stop xwindows from loading at boot):

> sorry if this is a dumb / old question,
> i have just completed a debian install on an old dell laptop, and
> have succesfully got xWindows / GDE to launch at startup. however...
> i didn't configure the mouse properly, so everytime i boot into
> debian, i'm confronted with a desktop i can't use. therefore, i was
> wondering if there is any way i can get back to the console at boot
> in anyway? bear in mind i can't just quit gnome, as my mouse doesn't
> work.

If it's a default install, changes are you have an sshd running, so you
might be able to log in from another machine and apt-get remove gdm.

Or, if your keyboard functions properly, you could just switch to a
terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1 or some such) to do the same thing.

Cheers,
Tom

--
key: http://tmp.verbreyt.be/files/abwaerts.asc