Re: Re: create GRUB boot disk (sarge)

Hi.

If you get an 'Error 6: mismatched or corrupt stage1/stage2' when booting with grub from a cd-rom using a menu.lst file, try removing the 'savedefault' option that appears in your menu.lst entries.

Regards,
Ignacio.

Antonio Rodriguez(arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com) is reported to have said:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 02:23:22PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > > A quick one (can't find answers by searching www.debian.org), but how do I > > > create a boot (rescue?) floppy for sarge which seems to use GRUB? (I tried
> > > mkboot as per LILO but it didn't seem a happy bunny.) Thanks, Michael
> >
> > gazillion ways to make a boot disk
> >
> > 	http://linux-boot.net/Loaders/Grub/
> >
> > for grub boot floppy, the files you need on the floppy:
> > 	- stage1, stage2, menu.lst, grub.conf, device.map
>
> I have made a ton of grub boot floopies, but have never succeeded to
> insert the menu.lst into it. Every time I have tried I just have
> messed up the floppy. If anyone has indications (that he/she has
> actually done it, not read about it!, and worked) I am sure that many
> will be happy to hear.

I have also had a problem making either a boot floppy or a boot CD
with menu.lst.  If the grub documentation isn't wron, it is at least,
confusing.

_But_, this topic did cause me to go try, again and this time I have a
working boot floppy _with_ a menu.lst!  Most of the  procedure is from
the Grub Manual

mke2fs /dev/fd0
mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt fd0
                                  ^   A space
# Not in the manual
cp -p /boot/brub/menu.lst /mnt/boot/grub/
umount /mnt

Now I, finally, have a boot floppy that has the same menu that
/dev/hda has!

If anyone had found a way, that works, to do the same to a CD I would
appreciate hearing how you did it.  The Grub manual procedure does
bring up the menu but it won't boot!  The error 'error-6 mismatched or
corrupt stage1/stage2' is all you get if you select any of the menu
options.  You end up having to boot with the command line.

Another gripe:  I can't find, in the Grub Manual, any mention of how
to add the boot opeion 'vga='  I do have it working but just can't
find it in the docs!

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
Wayne

--
The program is absolutely right; therefore the computer must be wrong.