Re: Help on RAID (sarge RC2) - newbie

On Tue,  8 Feb 2005 17:42:42 +0100, kaupolikan@NOSPAMlibero.it
<kaupolikan@libero.it> wrote:
> > Make sure the raid1 module is set to load (run modconf)
> > Make sure mdadm is set to autostart in /etc/default/mdadm (run
> > dpkg-reconfigure mdadm to generate the file)
>
> > I use the same type of setup as you, only a 2.6.8 kernel, I don't have
> > a /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file at all, and my raid starts automagically.
>
> Darryl,
>
> Ohhh !! at last !!
>
> In the meantime as I didn't find a solution with kernel 2.4.27 I've installed
> the 2.6.8 kernel, but typing "cat /proc/mdstat" I'm still having error:
> "cat: /proc/mdstat: No such file or directory"
>
> This means that this kernel does not include raid support either, right ?
>
> Is it necessary to recompile a custom kernel with raid support or not ??

The stock debian kernels have RAID support as modules.  That's all I'm using.

# uname -a
Linux sn0rkb0x 2.6.8-1-k7 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:13:37 UTC 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

The modules loaded are 'raid1' and 'md'

I think what you are missing is the filesystem type (set during fdisk/cfdisk)
On my RAID disks, I have it set as type '83' (Linux Raid Autodetect)
which gets the kernel to do all the dirty work (which is how I get
away with no mdadm.conf).

/dev/hdg1     1        9848    79104028+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hde1     1        9848    79104028+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com