Q about mailing lists ethics

I'm always wondering wat's the correct way to post on the list.

Ofcause when posting questions to the list I send to debian-user@, but
when I shall reply I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
I'm using Pine as my mailclient and when I hit Reply, say Yes to include
the message and then I'm not sure what next is the correct thing to do.
Pine ask if I shall Reply to all, i I day yes then the To field is the
user and CC is Debian-user list.

I thought I should Reply to Debian-user list and CC to the user asking the
question.

Can someone experienced please correct me? Or is there a quide on howto do
this correct?

Thanks.

/ernst-magne