Re: which mailserver to choose?

Steve Block wrote:
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:54:52PM +0100, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:

Hi all,
I have some questions about which mailserver to choose under Debian.
The thing is that I today have a windoze box that is running all services,
DHCP, MS dns for internal users, BIND for external, Apache for Windoze, a
ftp server for both up- and download and a mailserver. The mailserver is
the latest ver. of Merak mailserver.
The box is also running RAID5 on dynamisk windoze partitions.

I will no convert the whole ting to Debian, but I have never configured a
mailserver on debian and I will be thankful for some hints, minihowto and
pointer to the right direction.

I think I will be running Woody on the server, which is a AMD 850 with
512MB ram, I have used this box as Debian server before and the speed is
then two- tree times faster then running windoze:)

The current mailsystem, Merak, is a wery "light" mailserver but with all
the functionallity you'll need with support for POP, IMAP, webmail,
calendar, news, mailinglists (all users in domain) and IM server.
It's very easy to create and administer users, create alias and set quota
for mailboxes on per domain or user.

So if any of you gurus have some good tips I will be thankful.
I have looked at Cyrus and Cyrus21 pop and imap but is not sure if that is
the most easily system to set up.

I have only been running Debian for just two-tree years so I'm not
considered experienced. I can get my day to day applic running on a Sarge
box, laptop and pc but that is something quite different then running a
server:)

/ernst-magne

This is specific to Linux, not to debian, but I setup a similiar system on a debian woody box and its been flawless for me.
http://www.webconexion.net/knowledgebase/linux_howto/virtual_mail_server.php

Mysql and web interface for adding users and stuff, very handy.