Re: Dumb question, I'm sure.. Regarding Kernel Source

Hello

Jimmy Liang (<jimmy@skynetusa.com>) wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Debian, and linux in general, so pardon my
> question.. I've installed Sarge onto my IBM laptop, and I'm trying to
> install Cisco's VPN Client software.
> During the installation, its asking for the kernel source location.
> I've checked the /usr/src directory, and its empty.
> Fine, so I started up aptitude, and grabbed the 2.4.27 kernel source.
> Did a make, and make deb, and resumed the VPN Client install.
> It went fine, no problems during the install, until I tried to start
> up the VPN service.
> It said that the VPN service was compiled for the 2.4.27 kernel, but I
> was running 2.4.27-1-386 kernel.
>
> So.. my question is... I can't seem to find that source for
> 2.4.27-1-386 on apt... can anyone offer any suggestions?

The source is the same for all the packages, only the configuration is
different. You need to get the config-2.4.27-1-386 file from /boot, and
change the EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile to -1-386. Next run make clean
and make dep. You can also try the kernel-headers-2.4.27-1-386 package,
which should have the files you need to compile external modules for
your kernel.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270