Re: the mysteries of modprobe.d

> The task is simple:
>
> autoload the snd-intel8x0 module when required.
>
> What to do ?

I don't blame you for being frustrated at the documentation.  This
information can be hard to find.  If you're using ALSA, here's what someone
recommended to me a while back, to get sound working 1-2-3:

Install the alsa-base, alsa-utils and alsa-oss packages. Run alsaconf
to set up the driver, add yourself to the audio group, and run
alsamixer to unmute the channels.

alsaconf will offer to modify /etc/modprobe.d/sound.  In my case, it wrote

alias snd-card-0 snd-cs46xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cs46xx

so I expect that the analogous entries will work for you.

Good luck,
Andrew.