Re: how do I keep the clock from going back to UTC? [another one resolved]

On Saturday 05 February 2005 09:43 am, Don wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 11:10 pm, Spongebob wrote:
> > Silly me. When I went into the KDE Control Panel, I found that the
> > timezone wasn't configured. Works fine now.
> >
> > Strange that it got unset during the upgrade.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi Spongebob,
>
> I had exactly the same problem and STILL DO!  I assume from the above you
> mean the "KDE Control Center".  I make the change there, click "Apply", and
> all looks fine.  But getting out of that screen and then back into it again
> shows it went back to UTC (instead of CST in my case).  No matter what I
> do, the change I make does not "stick" or "take".
>
> If you have solved the problem, what is the secret?  Did you try logging
> out and back in again?  Whenever I do, it reverts back to UTC.  And even
> though my /etc/timezone says "America/Chicago" and my clock can be set to
> that, email on Kmail comes stamped with UTC, both incoming and outgoing.
> Doing a "tzconfig" says it is "America/Chicago" also.
>
> Anybody?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Got no replies to this, but kept investigating.  Everything looked right
except system thought my MB clock was on UTC.  Finally discovered on my new
install of sarge (using installer rc2 and opting for 2.6 kernel) that the
file /etc/localtime was NOT present.  Looking on a previous install using
different installer, I found this "file" was merely a link
to /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central in the previous installation, so creating
this in the present install cured my problem.

Wonder how come this file/link was missing?

Cannot understand either why there is a file /etc/timezone present which was
correct in that it said "America/Chicago".  Why two definitions?

Anyhow, everything fine now.  And BTW, the new installer rc2 worked very well
(except for this glitch).

Don