Re: Getting "shutdown" to shut the power off.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 05:29:28 -0800 (PST), Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 09:20, Andreas Rippl wrote:
>
> > I had the same problem, but only when running a Multi-Processor kernel
> > for some reason, i.e 2.6.7-1-686 works fine, but 2.6.7-1-686-smp
> > doesn't shut off the power. In what I guess is just another way of
> > doing what Andrew proposed, I just put an 'append' option into the
> > bootmanager config file (lilo in my case):
> >
> > append="<your other options here> apm=power-off"
>
> I have that.
>
> > Then I load the apm module without options and I get a full shutdown.
>
> I tried to load apm with modconf, and got the following error:
>
> Installing module apm. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured
> correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o:
> insmod /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: insmod apm
> failed
>
> Installation failed.
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols
> in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-k7/kernel/fs/binfmt_aout.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/usb/pwcx.o
>
> Please press ENTER when you are ready to continue.
>
> Looking at my BIOS setup screen (during booting), I saw something about
> ACPI.  Am I correct in thinking that APM & ACPI are mutually exclusive,
> that my motherboard supports ACPI, and that I need to learn to set that
> up instead?

Yes you are correct. (well mostly they're not entirely exclusive I
believe but in practice you use one of either usually).

I don't have acpi as a module but basically you'll probably just have
to install 'acpid' (which captures acpi events) and then maybe
"modprobe acpi" or something like that (check /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/kernel/drivers/acpi for modules you could load)

greets,
Wim