Re: MIDI && (PYTHON && WXGTK)

Paul wrote:
Nicos Gollan wrote:

On Friday February 4 2005 22:36, Bruno Cesar Ribas wrote:

People,
1)Has someone got to play MIDI files through linux? [DEBIAN ] ?

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/suse/userguide/ch19s09.html
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=timidity&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
http://www.titanicsf.com/download/download.html

The Titanic Soundfont needs to be unpacked with the SFPack utility, which should run in WINE. The Soundfonts from Soundblaster driver packages work quite well (but sound awful), there's also a package timidity-patches somewhere on the net.

Getting it to run is not really rocket science after you manage to hunt down a samples package.

The suse manual recommends soundfonts for timidity, but he link to http://www.stardate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/default.htm seems dead (last web page date is 1998). The 110 MB Titanic is a sf2 file, isn't it? Is it possible to use *.sf2 files with timidity? I've been googling unsuccessfully for a way to convert. The only thing I've found is a suse tool (also debian pkg awesfx) but it's just for the Emu10k1 soundcard, which I don't have, so does not work on my pc.

paul

Sorry, I just re-read the suse manual and notice it says to use soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/Vintage_Dreams_Waves_v2.sf2 in timidity.cfg. I just tried this and it works fine.

paul