Re: aptitude vs synaptic

Lucio Crusca wrote:
One thing dselect has and others do not have (or, again, I've not found
where), is the listing of "suggested" packages.

d on any entry will bring up the dependancies of that package which include recommends, conflicts, replaces and suggests. D, dependancies, can't get much more intuative than that, eh?

> It's not clear to me if the
packages automatically selected as dependencies by aptitude and synaptic
are only the strict dependencies, or include the "recommended" ones, or
include also the "suggested" ones.

Aptitude, by default, installs dependancies and recommends. A quick glance at the configuration. F10, Options, Dependancy handling.