dictd and utf-8 problem

I'm using dict and specified en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/environment. In order to
start properly, dictd needs the --locale=en_US.UTF-8 option, else it doesn't
start (I don't know why). So if I start the server like this:

dictd --locale=en_US.UTF-8

I have no problems. In order to start it as normal with /etc/init.d/dictd,
I've took a look in /etc/init.d/dictd. Originally the start section looks
like this:

start)
    echo -n "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
    start-stop-daemon --start -o  -c dictd --exec $DAEMON -- ${DICTD_ARGS}
    echo "."
    ;;

There was no DICTD_ARGS defined so I defined it:

DICTD_ARGS="--locale=en_US.UTF-8"

It didn't worked, so I defined it this way:

DICTD_ARGS="locale=en_US.UTF-8"

that neither works. How should I pass parameters to dictd so as to start it
with /etc/init.d/dictd.