Re: How to install and upgrade packages offline for my Debian box due to dial-up connection?

Hello

Phillip Pi (<ant@zimage.com>) wrote:

> [Sarge no more broadband]
>
> I do have broadband access, CD burners, and USB Flash drives/sticks
> (256- 512 MB) at work. Is there a way to get all these Debian packages
> and upgrades quickly? I do not and cannot run Debian at work due to
> heavy firewall restrictions (apt-get update and upgrade doesn't work
> well in VMware v4.5.x test).

This is asked frequently on this list. You can find more by searching
the list archive and googling for APT offline howto. To give you a
quick answer, you can get a list of filenames with
apt-get --print-uris dist-upgrade
and later copy the packages to /var/cache/apt/archives. Then you run
apt-get dist-upgrade.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270