GDM, XDM & KDM

	I recently loaded Debian on my laptop via the netinst.iso CD.  GDM and XDM work like champs.  I did a apt-get install kdm.  Install went fine.  The file /etc/X11/default-display-manager gets updated.
	When I attempt to login via KDM, it looks like it's going to start KDe but just recycles and goes back to the KDM login screen (in a wicked loop).  I can start KDE via startx.  I can customize the look of KDM, but cannot login what so ever via KDM (except via the cosole login menu item).  I've looked high and low but can't seem to find the difference between how GDM/XDM start a window manager and how KDM doesn't.  Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hugo