Re: Apache2 - To apt or not to apt?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:56:54PM -0600, James Scott wrote:
> I need to set up a fairly complete web server (CGI, Perl, maybe SSL)
> but all of the documentation that I can find is based on downloading
> and compling from source.  However; I notice that 'apt-cache search
> apache2' shows several 'libapache2-mod' packages that seem to match
> what I am looking for.  Is it really so easy that all I have to do is
> apt-get apache2 and the appropriate mods???  Or am I better off
> following the source?

I would recommend the packages. Debian's apache2 setup is rather nice. I
currently run it with php4, ssl, and dav enabled. With the packages, you
apt-get the libapache2 package you want, enabled it with the handy
a2enmod, and set up your configuration.

The packages make everything rather easy to use, while I find installing
apache by hand can be confusing and annoying.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/