Re: EMERGENCY: X Bonged (long)

On Monday 31 January 2005 12:48, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Dist-upgrade put in the new drm-trunk. I compiled the mach64.ko
> successfully, put in place.
>
> Attempt to restart X yielded blank screen hung system. Not possible to
> escape to a shell.
> Attemp to reboot failed to load the mach64.ko with a bunch of undefined
> procfs symbols,
> proceded, got to the kdm/xtart point and did the same--blank screen, hung
> system.
>
> I booted up knoppix, renamed the new module. This was NOT the problem.
>
> The install process for the new dri/drm stuff showed a lot of messages
> involving Xorg. Several of the new .so objects that get loaded from the lib
> directories are Xorg authored. This does not mean they are invalid--"Xorg"
> appeared in their copyright messages. No particular errors cited in the log
> which follows. What do I do now?

Got the system running again, anyway.
Booted knoppix, commented out the "new" lib path in XF86Config-4.

Here are the actual error message on trying to load the new mach64.ko, from
dmesg:

mach64: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_destroy
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_create
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_device_remove
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_device_add
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_destroy
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_create
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_device_remove
mach64: Unknown symbol mach64_sysfs_device_add

Note that the first message has been around for long time and is apparently
harmless. The others are preventing the module from loading.

The new lib objects (Xorg?) do not supply these symbols. I would be satisfied
to backtrack to the previous mach64 source and compile it.

One other thing: A packaga "lsb" was installed as a dependency with the new
dri-trunk.