Re: Debian repository listing

Tong wrote:
Hi,

If I have different package sources,

How can find out what repository a certain package comes from?

How can I list the packages coming from a certain repository?

I'm asking because I think a repository contains a package that I
want, but 'apt-cache search' still shows nothing (having added it
to apt source list and done update).

I think you need 'apt-cache policy':

$ apt-cache policy xpdf
xpdf:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.00-3.2
  Version Table:
     1.00-3.2 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
     1.00-3.1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages

This indicates that xpdf is not installed and the available versions
are 1.00-3.1 (from Debian main) and 1.00-3.2 (from Debian security
main).  If one were installed, its version number would be followed
by ***.  I hope this helps.

-Roberto

--
Roberto Sanchez