rootstrap + UML + tuntap

I'm attempting to use rootstrap on Debian to create a UML. I have
uml_switch running with the default configuration at boot time. However,
I get the uninformative error of:

    I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_Release
    E: Failed getting release file \
	http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/Release

which would seem to imply that UML networking isn't working properly.
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1, and nothing else is blocking
traffic. I'm not sure what's going wrong, but I'm thinking it has
something to do with the tap device.

I have the following rootstrap.conf:

    [global]
    fstype=ext3
    initialsize=1024
    freespace=0
    modules=network mkfs mount debian uml umount
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

    [network]
    hostname=uml-test
    interface=eth0
    transport=daemon
    uml=10.1.1.10
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    control=/var/run/uml-utilities/uml_switch.ctl
    data=/var/run/uml-utilities/uml_switch.data
    gateway=10.1.1.1
    domain=example.com
    nameserver=10.1.1.1

    [debian]