Re: Computer Name and IP Address

On Friday 28 January 2005 13:33, disciple@exis.net wrote:
> Hey everybody.  Is there a program, or a script that I could write that
> will do the following:
>
> I want it to retrieve the Computer Name,IP addresses and MAC address of
> all of the machines on my network.  I have mostly Windows machines, but
> would like to use my debian box to perform this task.
You could try using snmp, if the boxes are set up to provide snmp information.
nmap will tell you is they are or at least if they are listening on the right
port.  snmpwalk will give you all the information, alternatively install
opennms and get it to do a discovery, it will then monitor all the machines.

David