Re: / stuck in read-only mode. can't mount or remount any fs as root

dank@hwr.arizona.edu wrote:
> I had some disk errors and shutdown to reseat cables.
> The system, as-is, has been running and reboot more than once
> with no problems before now.  Perhaps the shutdown wasn't
> graceful??
Probably, but this seems worse than that. Was there any lightning or other
electrical surges near the computer?

> On boot up the / partition came up read-only and /var /proc etc.
> all are unmounted.  fsck is run on all the disks and the
> system disk is clean for all 3 partitions hda1 (/)  hda2 (/var)
> and hda3 (/t0) fsck not run on hda5 (should be swap).  All of
> my filesystems appear to be ext2.
Swap doesn't need to be checked, so that's ok.

> 2 other disks on a PCI controller are giving DMA errors and
> interrupt errors.  I don't think this is related.
Try removing the PCI card, if it's broken it might be causing problems with the
other controller(s).

> boot sequence drops me to a maint. root login prompt and
> I log in.  But, trying to mount /var or anything else fails
> with this error:  "mount: only root can do that"
> Same error when I try to remount / rw.
Could you post your /etc/passwd file? If it has password hashes in it you can
remove those. Also post the output of "id" when in maintenance mode please.

> If I go to a normal user level login prompt neither root nor any other
> user can login.  Only at the maint prompt can I get logged in.
That sounds somewhat normal for / being mounted ro and no /proc.

> I can boot from a knoppix CD
This is probably going to be very useful.

--
David Mandelberg
mandelbergd@eth0.is-a-geek.org