garbage on screen when in text mode

 Hello,

I recently installed X-Windows on a Debian Woody install that was working just fine. After installing X, whenever I switch to text mode, I get a screen full of garbage characters (characters are scattered and misplaced on the screen).

I had this same thing happen a year and a half ago after installing RH 8.0. RH tech support told me how to fix it, and it worked, but that was loooooong ago. I vaguely remember editing a script in one of the X files or something like that.

Seems like X has something to do with all this. Any of this ring a bell? Know how to fix?

Thanks, Allasso