Re: Error apt-getting new EM64T kernel

I have reproduced this error also. It occurs whenever one tries to "dpkg -i" a kernel image with an initrd. initrd is failing on a script because of the "linux-magic.so.1" library dependency. The script tries to copy all the libraries that tune2fs depends on to the intrd image, but linux-magic.so does not have a real library, so instead of a 3rd field in the output of ldd being a library name, it gets a hex offset, which then will not cpio or anything else for that matter.

I have tried fixing the /usr/share/initrd-tools/scripts/e2fsprogs script to ignore the offending line of output, but dpkg appears to call another script somewhere else (that uses cpio) that I have not found (see below).

The result of my "fix" is that I move further along before my kernel-install is dead: lilo fails with an error.

Further investigation reveals the other problem to be in the /usr/sbin/mkinitrd script itself, but I am less comfortable tampering with that script myself if I think that someone else will fix it and post the results in some official stream.

--
Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
	18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8