Re: Autorn of program on KDE login?

On Sunday 23 Jan 2005 15:49, stan wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 02:45:21PM +0000, Peter Nuttall wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 Jan 2005 14:19, stan wrote:
> > > I'm trying to convert a setup from Gnome 1.4 to something current. So
> > > far I'm leaning in the direction of KDE, as it seems more
> > > customizable than the current flavor of Gnome (which BTW sunrises
> > > me).
> > >
> > > In any case, I have a perl script that picks a random image to use
> > > for a desktop background. In Gnome 1.4, I'm able to configure this
> > > program to be run automatically at startup.
> > >
> > > So far, I have not found a way to do this in KDE. Is there some way I
> > > can do this?
> >
> > Yeah,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I'm still having a bit of a problem with this, though.
>
> > Put the program in .kde/Autostart/ then it will run on startup.
>
> I did that, and it pops up during startup, but then it gets overwritten
> with a color fill.
>
> > You know that this can be done by kde in at least 3.3 don't you? Its in
> > control/appearance & Themes/Background under slideshow.
>
> I want to use a whole directory, that gets update fairly often, so I
> don't _think_ is the appropriate answer. Am I wrong?
>
> I've added the script under Appearance nd Themes -> background ->
> advanced. This causes a 2n'd random image to appear during startup (yes I
> will remove it from Autostart), but it _still_ gets overwritten by a
> color fill. I've tries all 3 choices of select buttons (picture, no
> picture, and slide show0, but at the end of the desktop startup I still
> get a color fill that overrides the images.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Ok, You have three options

1) this .xinitrc thing.

2) the kde slideshow feature.

This has the problem that you can't add pictures to the dir after startup.
This should be filed as a bug at bugs.kde.org

3) running your script from the advanced option.

I'm not sure how this option works or what it is supposed to output. I'm
also worried by this colour fill you are getting. My guess is that your
perl script outputs some X commands that are being overwritten by kde.
Could you post it please?

Pete