Re: Debian Install: EN 2000 PnP network Card

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:29:02 -0600, Jacob S <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:51:01 +0000
> James Cummings <cummings.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I'm trying to install debian on an old machine with a
> > windows network card.  The card says on it:
> >
> > EN2000 PnP
> > but also:
> > "Win 95 Plug & Play"
> >
> > I believe this means it is probably impossible to get working.  When I
> > boot off my install floppies (current unstable installer) it doesn't
> > detect a network card.
> >
> > In another console more /proc/pci doesn't list anything that looks
> > promising either.
>
> Being that it says it's Win95 Plug & Play, I would guess that it's an
> ISA card, not PCI. Is this right? If yes, you won't see it listed in
> /proc/pci. Once you get Debian installed, isapnptools would be your
> friend(in Sarge). Unfortunately I don't know much about
> Debian-Installer's isa pnp support.

Ahh, that would make sense -- it does fit into a bigger slot than the
rest of the cards in the machine...

> Also, does it really say EN2000 on the card or is it perhaps NE2000?

Triple checked, EN2000 PnP

"DC-101 YCL" and "RTL8019AS" marked on a number of other things.  I'm
guessing the latter is really the chipset.

> NE2000 was a very common chipset in network cards for a while, in which
> case you should definitely be able to get it working. If it's pci, it's
> probably only a matter of loading the right module, but if it's isa pnp,
> then it will be a bit more work.

Any more suggestions?

-James
--
James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com