Re: How to publish CMYK EPS on the web?

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 10:28 +1030, David Purton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:09:17PM -0600, Rick Taylor wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 22:08 +1030, David Purton wrote:
> >
> > > You are of course, right, but the whole point of colour management is
> > > to try and get it as least wrong as possible given what you know about
> > > the colour capabilities of the intended output device. And even pure
> > > white is usually wrong, since your paper is not white.
> >
> > But your screen is.
> >
> > The color of your paper is going to depend on the color of your
> > paper. :}
>
> Exactly - but the colour "white" in your CMYK eps *is* the "colour of
> the paper". This is why there are different colour profiles for
> different kinds of stock. It's why when you create 4 colour CD labels,
> you need an extra whitewash channel, otherwise all your colours will be
> up the creek.

The color of the paper is the color of the paper. It will vary depending
on the color of the paper. The white of the screen doesn't vary. If
you're printing to grey stock. It's grey not white.

You just gotta' do tests. Generally I use stuff that's slightly
yellowish like BFK. I think it's just something you learn to accept or
to correct for. I use BFK or Fabriano because I like them. If I were
going for accuracy I'd go for some sort of ultra white mylar or
something. You can get *white* papers if you look for them.

> So you must take into account the colour of the paper in your
> conversions to and from RGB.
>
> The particular blend of CMYK inks to get a particular shade depends on
> heaps of things - the colour of the paper, how much the ink spreads, the
> screen frequency, etc.
>
> This of course means that its really hard to get a good proof on screen
> of what you will get on the press :(
>
> cheers
>
> dc

I think we're just looking at the same thing from different
perspectives. I think you just need to learn to work with a particular
paper... to use it for it's inherent qualities. I don't look for a
perfect copy of what's on the screen I look at the final product.

--
http://www.RTaylor-Design.Com