Re: Error when prelinking firefox

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:19:57PM +0100, jjluza wrote:
> Hello people,
> I try to prelink mozilla firefox.
> I succeed in prelink openoffice.org but I don't want to prelink other
> binaries.
> I run "prelink -vmR /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin" but I get the
> following error :
> /usr/sbin/prelink.bin: /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin: Could not find
> one of the dependencies
>
> Now I wonder how to find which this dependencie is, and how to solve this
> problem.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hi!

firefox has its own set of libraries which are not in the default
search path. Libraries are only searched for in each of the paths
in /etc/ld.so.conf, and anything in the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (provided that the given executable is not setuid/setgid).
Firefox' libraries reside in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox and various other
places, and the shell script /usr/bin/firefox (which you call to start
firefox) adds all those library paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before executing
the "real" executable, firefox-bin.
So if you want to prelink the binary, you'll have to mention all those
directories, too, or prelink won't find them. Have a look at /usr/bin/firefox
to get the whole list, it's quite easy to find.

HTH,

Jan

PS: Ah, by the way: You can check the dynamic library dependencies of
an executable with the tool "ldd".

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>