Video surveillance options

I was wondering about what experience other debian users have with setting up a video surveillance camera and recording.

Here's the thing:

Our company owns this office building. We want to put a camera on each parking lot. Right now they are looking at a Toshiba web cam. Anyhow, the point is that this camera will be transmitting either constantly or I guess when awakened by motion.

So, here's my question. They want a system to be able to record any activity when the motion sensor detects any activity.

What role can a linux server play in this?

As I see it, the server should know to start archiving any information either when the camera is turned on by motion, or when the motion sensor detects any activity.

This information should then be either accessible on a disk or moved to a video tape.

I would really appreciate any advice people can provide.

Curtis