Re: How to create an ISO image with very long file/directory names?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 07:19:32AM +0200, Daniel M. wrote:
> Is there is any way to create a burnable (and readable afterwards)
> image file with file/directory names of an (almost) arbitrary length
> (up to 1000 characters would be enough for my purpose)?

mkisofs -rJ -o x.iso files/

CDROM file systems do not allow for extraordinarily long filenames.
mkisofs will warn you that certain filenames will be "identical on
output"

I hit the issues you''re talking about because sometimes abcde will
create very long title names consisting of an entire band's name
and entire album name with spaces and punctation.

Some of the classical music can be extremely long!

When I see warnings from mkisofs I go in and rename some of the
really long ones to avoid clashes-on-truncation.

Microsoft has workarounds for this in their Darwin (MSI) technology
If you have system files that count on being extraordinarily long,
you'll just have to rename them in the post-install step because
the CDROM name can only be yay long.