Re: Moving from testing to stable?

* Dave Sherohman:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:58:15PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know why a fresh sarge install (at least up to RC1, which
>> is what I used the last time) puts 'testing' into the sources.list
>> instead of 'sarge'?  I found that a little bit irritating (although I
>> know how the transition is going to be handled).
>
> I would guess that it's because most people seem to be following a
> status (stable/testing/unstable) rather than a specific version
> (woody/sarge).  i.e., Most people using testing/sarge seem to be
> doing so because they want quicker updates than they would get if
> they were on stable/woody and they would be annoyed if their updates
> suddenly stopped when sarge became stable.

That sounds reasonable but I don't think it follows Debian's generally
conservative policy concerning upgrades. Moving from stable to testing
is easy and "supported" - the other way round is not. On the other hand,
most people who run a RC of Debian aren't interested in this kind of
stability anyway.

J.
--
I hate myself but have no clear idea why.
[Agree]   [Disagree]