Re: Pondering a mac mini.

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Pondering a mac mini.
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:15:52 -0600

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 18:07 -0500, Jason Rennie wrote:
> Speaking of Macs... anyone know what the comparison is like for
> floating point compuation?  My prof. keeps hinting that we should try
> some of those nifty-looking Mac server machines.  How's the number
> crunching compare to Intel & AMD?

Power is supposed to have much better FP performance than x86.

Yea, this is where the Mac shines. Of course I'm basing this on the PowerMac G5 so I can't say for sure but FP is really just no competition so far. (Does anyone know how fast the mini mac can achieve?)

I have a Dell precision 450 at work. FSB is ... 533Mhz at best. On the PowerMac G5, it starts at 600Mhz and goes beyond that. I feel that even though the Xeon processors are fast, the bottleneck of the FSB is reducing what it can truly achieve.

So that being the best part of Mac, the second has to be their decision to go BSD UNIX. Once they did that, I was pretty much in love.

For $500, this isn't bad at all. I really would love to play with Garageband but I'm most likely going to save my money and then buy a Dual PowerMac G5.

bp

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"And I'm hiding in Honduras, I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers,
guns and money!"

<< signature.asc >>