Re: About input method and Coding

On Monday 17 January 2005 00:28, Tony Chan wrote:
> I would like to know whether debian can show traditional chinese and
> has any chinese input method?

yes and yes.
Fonts: ttf-arphic-* in the main debian repository, or for more advanced
fonts (simplefied and traditional in one unicode ttf font) add the
following to your sources.list:
deb ftp://debian.linux.org.tw/pub/apt/ unstable main
Then get the ttf-arphic-{ukai|uming} font.

Input method:
I suggest SCIM (also in the main repository), together with scim-chinese
(smart pinyin for simplefied and traditional), scim-tables for other
input methods (chang jie, bopomofo (zhuyin), etc.) and scim-chewing
(smart bopomofo (zhuyin), available on debian.linux.org.tw)

SCIM works with Unicode (UTF-8 locales).
Set you locale to a UTF-8 one and XMODIFIERS to @im=SCIM.

If you want to use Big5 only, you can use xcin as input method.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)