Lilo error after dist-upgrade to unstable

I installed debian on my system and need support for the realtek gigabyte adapter so I decided to upgrade to unstable. I edited my sources.list and did a "apt-get update", after that I did an "apt-get dist-upgrade". Now my system hangs at the lilo boot (just displaying LI and nothing else).

This looks like a bad MBR so I tried to re-install the MBR with Lilo -M, to no avail. I then figured I'd just update lilo as if I had installed a new kernel. This generated the following error:

hermes:~# lilo
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
   Name change: '/dev/hdk' -> '/dev/hdk'
Fatal: open /dev/hdk: No such file or directory

The system ran fine under the stable config but failed twice the same way under two different unstable installs. I really want the gig adapter support of unstable, how can I do it?

Thanks in advance!

JJ