Re: Startup console mode

 --- "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller@amfes.com> wrote:
> What mode/font did the installer put me into - and how can I set that
> myself for my normal startup?  I use the grub bootloader, if that makes
> a difference.

That was using the framebuffer -- if you're using a stock kernel, you
should already have that enabled. There are various modes you can pass to
the kernel at boot time to ensure that it uses a resolution you choose.
So, if you edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, you can append (or change) your
vmlinuz line in there to include:

vga=<mode>

where mode could be:

0x317

A full list can be seen at [1]. Essentially, the above command would put
my display at 1024x768 at a colour-depth of 16 bits. Again, see the
ascii-table at [1] if that does not suit your needs.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html

=====
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net