Mouse smoothness - or lack thereof

Hi all.

I have a Microsoft Trackball Optical - I may not like their software much but they do have some good hardware. Everything appears to function reasonably well on my Debian unstable installation - but I'm not happy with the mouse response. All the buttons work and the scroll wheel functions fine - it's the pointer response that bothers me. Under Windoze - pointer movement is smooth and natural. Under XFree86 4.3 - it's anything but.

I'm sure there's gotta be a way - I just haven't found it yet. How can I adjust the mouse response under XFree to match what I experience in Windoze? The only parameter I've tried in the mouse config dialog in KDE 3.3 is the "acceleration" - but that does not give me the results I want.

Daniel