Re: reclaiming space from redmond!

thanks for the responses!
i can find out the exact name of the partition (i am pretty sure it is
/dev/hda7).
here is teh reason for all this: my /usr/local is going to run out of
space pretty soon (and by that i mean that my root partition, "/",
currently mounted on /dev/hda5 is nearly full: 83%) and i haven't even
installed half the software i want! boo hoo!!!
now my question is actually this: i have already mounted the d:drive
and i can write to it if i want to - but this is not what i want. i
actually want to increase the root partition size and "merge" these
two partitions.
maybe i am asking for too much (or maybe there is a workaround)
bottomline: i need more space on "/" (root of linux installation) or a
workaround where i could somehow virtually "join" two partitions so
debian would treat them as one big "/" folder.
any pointers?
tia,
-prash.