Re: Japanese characters display problem

Thomas Beresford wrote:
Hello,

I recently reinstalled my Debian system (woody mixed with some testing
and unstable packages), and since then I'm having
problems to display japanese characters (I've never had any problem
before the reinstall). Now, some characters can't be displayed (a
strange rectangular box is displayed instead) neither on my gnome 2.8
nor on my Firefox browser.
I have both japanese locales installed (ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP and
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8). I'm using both xfs(version 4.1.0-16woody5) and
xfs-xtt (version 1:1.3.0.xf420-4) font servers. I also have all the
basic stuff required to have an japanese-environment installed (using
the japanese-environment option at tasksel during the system install
process). My TrueType fonts come from Windows XP fonts directory
(installed them using ttf-commercial package). A weird thing is that if
I try to use my Japanese Windows 98SE truetype fonts, no japanese
characters are displayed at all, just those wierd rectangular boxes.

I have a feeling that, if you look at a full map of those fonts, they're designed for Shift-JIS, and not ja_JP. Have you checked to make sure that the extra Japanese fonts are installed (all the Mincho fonts)? Is xfs-xtt managed by defoma? If not, you'll need to add in the fonts by hand.

Do an xlsfonts to verify that X is, in fact, seeing that those fonts exist.

--
Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix DOT net

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it.  Action
has magic, grace and power in it." -- Goethe