Re: reclaiming space from redmond!

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:38:02 -0500, Prashanth Narayanan
<iprash@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>   i just installed debian-testing (sarge) on a 4gb partition (dual
> booting with win-xp) where i had  red-hat earlier. i now like this so
> much that i want this to become my primary o.s. and so i will now
> rarely boot into windoze (and only until someone writes a good dvd
> *back-up* mechanism for linux).
>   now i have another 4 gb of windows partition (labelled d: drive)
> which i want to "bring into" the linux fold. this is a fat32
> partition. of course my windows os installation is on c: and i won't
> touch that - for now.

Okay first you need to find out which partition it is. If your drive
is master on the first controller it's called /dev/hda. As slave it's
/dev/hdb. Second controller is hdc and hdb. you can inspect the
partition table with cfdisk (since you already installed debian you
probably know this already). Find out which one you want (for instance
/dev/hda7). Then you have 2 options:
1) keep it as fat32 and mount it somewhere (linux can read and write to fat32)
2) format it as another filesystem. You would do this with mkfs.fsname
where fsname is the name of the filesystem you want (for instance
reiserfs).

To make it so that it is mounted at boot you will have to edit
/etc/fstab. Read man fstab and man mount. If you want to migrate a
directory tree over to it the best way is to use tar.

That should be the gist of it.
greets,
Wim