Re: can't find cd-devices with 'cdrecord -scanbus'

On Monday 10 January 2005 18:59, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> I get an error message when running 'cdrecord -scanbus'. I've googled
> for other cases but none explaines whats wrong in my case! Added
> cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 -checkdrive   ->  which is my cdrom (hdc) and
> cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -checkdrive   ->  which is my cdwriter (hdd)
>
> Best regards Vegard!
>
> hjem:~# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version. Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of
> this version.
>
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup
> . hjem:~#
>
> hjem:~# cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 -checkdrive
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version. Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of
> this version.
>
> scsidev: 'ATA:1,0,0'
> devname: 'ATA'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
> cdrecord: Read-only file system. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot open
> SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup
> . hjem:~#
> hjem:~# cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -checkdrive
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
> version. Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of
> this version.
>
> scsidev: 'ATA:1,1,0'
> devname: 'ATA'
> [...]

Try making your cdrecord binary setuid root, if it isn't already. With
my particular kernel and version of cdrecord that does it for me.
Without the setuid bit set I get the same error output as you.

B/R,
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare