Re: Is my hard disk about to crash?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> * Aditya Pratap V.:
> >
> > ide-cd: cmd 0x2b timed out
>   ^^^^^^
> > hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>
> Are you sure hdc is your hard disk? For the rest of this mail, I'll
> assume it is.
>
> > hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
> > hdc: DMA disabled
> > hdc: ATAPI reset complete
> > hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> > Error }
> > hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30
> > ide: failed opcode was 100
> > end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
>
> If I understand this correctly, that is bad,

not necessarily, usually, all it is, is a "new/changed" system config
problem

	- cdrom/dvd on the same cable as a hard disk
	- wrong cables ( cheap cable vs good cables )
	- cable bent in wierd shapes bent and touching metal
	- too long of a cable ( 18" max )
	- hot disks ( add a fan to the disk )
		- use hddtemp to see what its operating temp is
		( should be 30C or less, even less than 25C )

	hen the first occurance of the errors was

if the system been running for a year or two, than it's probably
dying or the disk is too hot and getting more sensitive to heat ...
but using it more to do backup is too late, and will aggrevate it
even more

c ya
alvin