Re: How can I force a PCMCIA network card to have a specific interface name?

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:13:55AM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:51:03 -0500, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > I've looked at teh PCNCIA HOWTO, but I can't seem to
> > figure out how to force a specific peice of ahrdware to
> > have a certain interface name.
> >
> > I've got a wireless card that (incorectly) gets assigned eth0, which
> > conflicts with the built in NIC. I want to force it to be wlan0.
>
> Check out ifrename.

That was my first choice, but I could not make it work for me.
I think, if I can figure out how to do it, that a simple edit of
a file in /etc/pcmcia will acomlish what I want.

It's a pure a simple timing race, and if I can oly figure out
how the /etc/pcmica stuff picks a device name, and coerce it into
picking wlan0 for this specific pece of hardware.

I see how to set lot's of things, but device name is not one of them.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin