Re: Can a particular network card be permenantly bound to an eth'x'number?

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 19:26 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:

> > This is just what the ifrename package is for (part of wireless-tools
> > but it's a separate package in Debian).
> >
> > It assigns a user-defined interface-name permanently on the basis of
> > certain static criteria, usually the device's MAC address.
> >
> > I use it on my laptop to ensure that the built-in ethernet adapter
> > is always `nic', one wireless card is always `wlan1', and the second
> > wireless card is always `wlan2'.
> >
> > It's easy to set this up, but if you want a really good detailed
> > account of this and related issues, try:
> >
> >    http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/HOTPLUG.txt
> >
> > Jim
>
> Rant:
> Yes ...but, what is up with giving , or trying, as is the default with
> Sarge, to give an network interface to firewire ? Until I added the
> IPW2100 Centrino driver  the firewire driver was always loaded, which
> prevents the onboard ethernet & PCMCIA from configuring correctly. I
> would think that firewire would be the 'last' choice to configure as an
> interface, I have never even seen a firewire nic, but thats just me.
>
> Thanks for the link though :)

Thanks for all the info - it's been stored for future refernce :)  In
the end I went for the option of just specifying the modules in the
order I wanted in /etc/modules.  This seemed the simplest way to achieve
what I wanted and everything is now fine.