Trouble configuring debian

Hi,

My name is paul, and although i´ve been using linux for almost 3 years now, i´m completely new

To debian. In the past, I´ve used SUSE and RedHat with no complaints.

Recently I changed my computer and decided to go to the next level and downloaded debian from

The web site. Details on my new computer follows:

AMD 64 bit ATHLON 3000+

Motherboard ASUS k8v deluxe

1 Gb RAM

Video Card: ASUS V9570 TD FX5700 256 MB

Monitor: LG 17” Flatron ez T710sh

SATA HDD, 120 GB, 7200

DVD-R, DVD-W, etc.

Having downloaded woody, I discovered that it doesn´t detect the SATA drive.

As i´m persistent, I downloaded the sarge CD 1 and 2. I manage to install

The base system and the graphical desktop packages, such as gnome, kde, etc.

BUT I´M HAVING ONE HELL OF A PROBLEM CONFIGURING XFREE86!!!

I can´t seem to find the drivers for my monitor and/or video card, and I get stucked

With the terminal display.

I´ve tried with xf86config, and even selecting the minimum (VGA, 16 colors, etc)

It Doesn’t work. I´m desperate. I need to get this done to work in my ph.d. thesis, as

Soon as possible.

Please, if you can send me instructions or any info on where to start from, i´ll appreciate it.

Thanx in advance

Paul Cobelli

Please, send my answers to this mail: pcobelli@focuslab.lfp.uba.ar